How to Style your Maxi for Fall

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Good evening, mah dears. =) 
A few weeks ago, I was asked by a reader to feature some ways I work my long skirts for fall...so rather than cramming all the looks into one post, I'm going to take this week to feature some ways I'd wear a long skirt for work, weekend or casual wear.

Maxi skirts are the iconic sort of pieces generally associated with warm, sunny days and breezy walks along the beach.  I love pencil skirts as much as the next girl, but it seems a certain sort of luxury to have that extra fabric swishing around your ankles.  I'm such a fan of long skirts, so of course, I'm looking for ways to take my billowy, chiffon skirts into cooler weather.  

#1  Working Girl
This season's version of the maxi are hardly to be restricted to the bohemian looks normally associated with them.  This year, they are smart, chic and constructed from more sophisticated fabrics.
You're sure to stand out in a sea of corporate business suits when you pair your maxi with well-structured layering pieces.  Maxi's are most often worn in casual looks, so belting your sweater over the skirt keeps your look more office-ready than slouchy.  A maxi already feels a bit formal, so I wouldn't (never say never, right?) pair these skirts with heels...only flats or a pair of booties. The end result is professional while unexpected colors and the smallest of skinny belts maintain your individual flare.  




Skirt: Anthropologie Post-Impressionist  Sweater: Gap  Blouse and belt: J.Crew  
Bag: Handbag Heaven  Flats: Steve Madden



Here are a couple more possibilities.


Goin' Green
Post Impressionist--Dressy

J crew cardigan
J Crew chiffon shirt
Long pleated skirt
Steven by Steve Madden patent flat
Leather bag
FOSSIL rose watch





Basic Black
Post-Impressionist-Dressy


Long maxi skirt
Patent shoes
FOSSIL vintage handbag
Fossil watch





Comin' up next is Weekend Wear.  Much love, as always...

9 comments:

  1. Thank you SO MUCH! you just inspired my outfit for tomorrow.


    xo
    rachelsayumi.blogspot.com

    Come enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what I needed to jumpstart my wearing my maxi skirts into fall. I've been meaning to layer up and style my skirts in a similar manner but was having some mental-blocks. This totally helps clear things up. I can't wait to see what else you have in store this week! I love that maxi, BTW and should have picked it up when I had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maxi's are absolutely a summer staple, but they're actually warm for fall! The perfect skirt for breezy days. This is a wonderful outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks K!
    Looking good as always :) You have a great natural sense of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great styling! Can't wait for your posts this week. :) PS I like maxis in the winter b/c I can wear leggings underneath them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is true that the maxi seems only for casual wear...but you managed to make it look very polished and refined!
    I love the colors and print of yours....divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these ideas to make some of my long skirts work for Fall & Winter...you'd think I'd have the hang of it by now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes!! I loooooooove maxi skirts! I only wear skirts, no pants. So I'm really into maxi skirts now and your posts are SOOO helpful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am seriously loving this series! Maxi skirts are my new fav thing right now and you really put these outfits together so beautifully! Just discovered your blog and really glad that I did :)

    http://confessionsoftheglitterati.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Kristina J. Copyright 2014

Kristina J. DIY Ideas | DIY Style All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger