How To Lengthen Clothes with Color Blocking

Sunday, August 12, 2012


Clothes with existing color stripes are a DIY-er's dream come true. It's like they come with a neon-lit invitation to get messed with. HA. I've wanted to do a couple posts on how to use color blocking to add length for a while now, and finally found the products I needed to pull it off. 
No girl (that I know) wants to look like Holly Hobby, but most girls (that I know) are always looking for creative ways to add some length to the short skirts that seem to be everywhere. It's not really about re-creating a piece as much as adding a personal touch to make it work for you.
Here's a few pointers on how to use two colors to add extra length that blends seamlessly with the existing skirt. Choosing fabric that matches the shade and texture of your skirt is the most difficult part of a project like this, but the rest is a cinch if you measure carefully to know exactly how wide your finished stripes need to be.


I always lay the piece out and cut my bands the same shape as the skirt rather than trying to make a pattern.


cute sewing projects and free patterns
[twitter]

                                                        follow button
[rss feed]

for cute sewing projects 
and free sewing pattens [pinterest]
[email] [Kristina J]

22 comments:

  1. Great job! I love it! You are so talented!
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This intervention works so well! I find the hardest part is finding the right matching (or alternatively contrasting) fabric to make it seem like one piece. I should investigate more online fabric stores for greater selection perhaps. What's your fabric-finding secret?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!! :) Great tutorial too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! I can't even tell you added anything. Lovely length.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea and it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this idea looks great

    come over and see what we shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The skirt came out gorgeous - love the stripes!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks awesome! you're such a great seamstress! I have some dresses I wanted to extend but they are all solid colored and finding the right shade (not even fabric) is tough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks wonderful, and the outfit you put together is gorgeous!
    Meredith
    www.createthatoutfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. With two daughters almost 6 feet tall it is difficult to find skirts that are long enough so they don't feel uncomfortable. I love how this doesn't look 'made over', but part of the original skirt! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! I love the black and white paired with a bright color too =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this skrit and the colors! And I love how you added length to it!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it!!! what a pretty skirt.
    Love, Miek

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! I always need ideas on how to lengthen clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this, what a great idea. How did you find a black to match the black in that skirt - I find black a really tricky colour to match. Found you via Annemarie's Haakblog link your stuff and glad that I did :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kristina,
    You did such a cute job with this skirt. I really love what you did. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/tangerine-toner-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea. I'm always lengthening my little girls' skirt, but hadn't thought about lengthening my own.

    We'd love for you to link up at our Finished Friday blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When u r in Asia n stand at 5"7, u r a huge giant. Its impossible finding dresses skirts pants that fall right. I always buy maxi dresses n chop it at knee length. Gonna try my hand at this. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Kristina J. Copyright 2014

Kristina J. DIY Ideas | DIY Style All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger