How to Make a Two-Tone Shirtdress

Thursday, March 7, 2013

how to make a shirt dress from an old blouse tutorial via Kristina J blog
how shirtdress collage

I haven't checked with any doctors, but I'm pretty sure it's physically impossible to feel unhappy while wearing a shirt dress, and the great ones are so hard to find at a moderate price point. I don't know why a shirt dress feels different from simply tucking a blouse into a skirt, but it just does. When you combine two pieces to create a dress, it's just so...permanent. You never have to worry about the kiddos pulling things out of place while they twist and turn in your lap.The shirt is always in place; the skirt never rides up. Result: Much yumminess.
This is a super-easy cheat to create a well-fitting piece you can style in a hundred ways, rain or shine. You'll want a blouse that has a small amount of extra room at the waist.

how to make a shirtdress 3

I used a blouse that was torn out at the waist and couldn't be worn anymore. This project gave me the chance to up-cycle it. 

how to make a shirt dress 6
how to make a shirt dress 7 how to make a shirt dress 8how to make a shirt dress 9

19 comments:

  1. I can't get over how creative you are!!! I will need to whip out my sewing machine and try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely outfit! I have so many things I'd like to combine, but my sewing skills are really rather... basic. Maybe I'll try it either way.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristina J! Love it! :) I can't wait to see your book...although I like seeing your ideas, not actually being creative on my own. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. You! Are! Amazing! I can't wait to buy your book!!

    Chandra
    More Modern Modesty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sooo sweet! I can't wait to see the finished product either.

      Delete
  5. Can't you just wear the shirt tucked into the skirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...but I like the permanence of a shirt dress. Especially since I've got three children, a shirt dress is simply easier to grab than trying to coordinate separate pieces...and also, these were pretty much unused items in my closet.

      Delete
    2. Tucking a shirt into a skirt lasts only... minutes. Then you spend your day trying to tuck it back in place, or feeling something alive and annoying moving around your waist, chilling from . :) I never wear a shirt into a skirt because is such a bother! :D
      Kristina: well, I'm a doctor, I totaly validate your theory! :) The color touch of the shoes is such a highlight that it makes me wanna stay and look at the picture forever! Francesca

      Delete
  6. This is such a good idea! I've been planning my spring refashions and this is going right on the list. Thanks for sharing. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always you are truly amazing!! I love this dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thx for the tutorial Kristina. This dress is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you've created! And I LOVE how you paired it with the striped blazer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a great idea! I always put tops and bottoms together with a big elastic but never thought of a zipper. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely, lovely! I wish myhair could look like yours all the time! Deffinately keep it curly!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Do you have a picture of it with out the sweater? I'd love to see the finished product alone!

    ReplyDelete

Kristina J. Copyright 2014

Kristina J. DIY Ideas | DIY Style All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger