I'm a belt lover, no doubt about it. But when the summer weather gets hot and muggy, the last thing I feel like wearing is a belt cinched around my waist. It's so much cooler to have a dress that looks like it has a belt but still moves and breathes around your body. A ribbon belt attached to a dress is a great way to get the look without feeling confined.
1. Start with a dress with a natural waistline. I used the Sidewalk Sunday dress from Downeast Basics.
2. Choose a colored grosgrain ribbon. Cut it to fit your waist plus one inch. Fold ribbon end under and pin to edge of dress directly on top of waist seam.
3. Attach by topstitching around the waistline close to edge of ribbon.
4. Fold opposite end of ribbon under and catch as you topstitch ribbon edge.
5. Repeat topstitching along bottom edge of ribbon.