Should you fancy a fling with theatrical impact, using some sequin strand to make a statement top will get the ball rolling. Sequins always make the overall effect a little bolder. If your top is super soft, like this sweater, using a harder textured sequin will play against the sugary sweetness. I was wanting to use #LOVE, but opted for hello instead. No matter the statement you choose, it will be the perfect balance of touch and tender--a dramatic mix of gold dazzle against a soft cream canvas.
--needle and thread
--one spool sequin strand ribbon like this from Joann Fabrics
1. With top on, mark the top and bottom of where you want the letters to be. I used some embroidery thread to do this and made my letters long and skinny. My statement is abouut 4 inches tall.
2. Pull several sequins off the end of strand to leave a 1-2 inch tail. Tie a knot to keep remaining sequins from falling off.
3. Lay sequin strand flat on top at starting letter marker. Using a knotted needle and thread, pull thread from inside to outside and return needle to inside over sequin strand. Pull taught but not too tight to prevent puckering. Repeat this step about every other sequin to attach strand to top. The thread should pull under the sequin to remain invisible.
4. Using initial markings as a guide, continue looping and tacking letters to complete full statement. If you run out of thread, pull to inside and secure with a knot. Begin again with step one.
5. Once the statement is complete, pull the tails to the inside using a needle and secure with a couple knots. You can also iron a piece of interfacing over the inside to secure the threads like I did when creating my Anthro-inspired Amour sweater.
6. DONE. (You'll want to wash a sequin embellished piece by hand.)