Constructing: The Soo

Tuesday, August 7, 2012


So, obviously...this dress represents the slightly more complicated city of Sault Ste. Marie, but I went with The Soo since most people I know don't speak French. I was slightly appalled by the thought that girls might go around calling my new design "The Salt Street Marie" dress and that just wouldn't do at all...maybe, if the collection was inspired by great eateries, but even then...no. 

The idea behind this dress was to build something that was feminine, but slightly industrial and corporate feeling. I wanted the blue piping and pleating to imitate the impressive canal systems that cut through Sault Ste. Marie. The boundaries of the bodice and pockets are defined by these lines, much like the water locks define the Soo. Beyond that, I wanted this to be a light-weight cotton dress a girl could feel pretty in...funny name aside.
Mission accomplished.



[rss feed]
for cute sewing projects 
and free patterns
[pinterest] [email] [Kristina J]

19 comments:

  1. The Soo looks magnificent! :) Makes me want to get my pre-baby shape back just so I can wear one. Nice work Kristina. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best pieces you've created, IMO! Are you ever planning to sell your designs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautifully constructed dress Kristina. So chic and flattering, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the piping, the pockets, and the perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely beautiful! Love the white and classic cut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous work girlie! You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would totally buy this dress!! Love the piping and the pockets. The shape would be flattering on so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sault or Soo... Oh là là, que c'est beau !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wauw, beautiful. A very good example of how much better things look an a person than a hanger. Fits you very well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are talented and beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent workmanship! A real beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post made me laugh--"inspired by great eateries..." Haha! I love your insight into the dress and how you transferred the city's images into it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dress is so lovely, especially the seaming/piped details! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, modest, stylish, feminine. (The dress and you!) I LOVE your designs, Kristina, and like others I can't wait for you to start selling them! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really excited to have found your blog! Love your classy style and curly hair - we have very similar curls :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS KRISTINA! Perfect for the 8-5 girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning!! Want it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love white because this one can be the most pure color in this world and if you view cwmalls.com you'll find that Chain strap shoulder bag will be great to almost all of us!

    ReplyDelete

Kristina J. Copyright 2014

Kristina J. DIY Ideas | DIY Style All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger