Wearing: A Spot of Orange

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

(J.Crew tuxedo button-up, H/M mesh skirt, UO suede pumps, AE watch,
Irvington Studded handbag c/o Handbag Heaven)
(J.Crew tuxedo button-up, HnM mesh skirt, UO suede pumps, AE watch,
Irvington Studded handbag c/o Handbag Heaven)


Call me a nerd, but I have always loved going back to school...the cool, crisp mornings, the routine, and the promise that sweater weather is just around the corner. This year, however, leaves me feeling rather bittersweet about the whole thing. I've been a stay-at-home mommy for almost seven years now, and suddenly (or so it seems), my two oldest boys are packing their back-packs and rushing out the door, eager to discover new things. I'm not sure what this means for my blog, since they've been taking the pictures from the beginning.
My dad always tells me, "Change is inevitable". It's funny that when my children were infants, I felt like I'd be staying at home forever. Yet, here I am on the cusp of my second freedom, wondering what I'll do during the next stage of my life. If my three-year-old daughter has anything to say about it, we'll be spending a lot of time at "that Target place with all the princess toys".

No regrets--that's the great consolation I have every morning when my boys walk out the door to larger territories and learn to spread their wings. I don't have any regrets, I'm not stuck at home thinking, "Where did the time go? I wish I had done this or that." We learned together...around my mistakes and bungling at being a parent, to say "I'm sorry" and "I love you" and "Yes, Ma'am". They didn't lack for trips to the park or for a mother to throw baseballs with them or build tents under the dining room table or kiss their boo-boo's when the fell.
I was present...playing with them, nurturing them...being a mommy in all the ways possible. And now it's a certain kind of reward to see them leave the safe little nest I created for them and watch them dream big dreams...dreams of being heroes, of doing daring feats, of beating the bad guys and rescuing damsels in distress.
No regrets. I was there...teaching my boys to have warrior hearts--because every man in the battle was once a boy with a back-pack.

13 comments:

  1. Adorable! I so enjoy your posts. Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you said that. My daughter is almost school age and I am having a hard time dealing with it! I like how you talked about no regrets- you were there, you were present. And so am I. That makes the transition a little better...
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this outfit Kristina. It's so simple and tailored, but the pop of orange shoes really makes it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet post! I'm still in the at home/do everything phase but I'm trying to be present like you. Anyway, love the pictures and the fun shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such an amazing post. Love your mentality and your spirit. Thanks. There's is no shame in being "just a mommy"! Its a glorious and amazing "job" :) I plan on being a stay at home mom too. thanks for the inspiring words :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this!! you look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristina, you look so pretty! Isn't this skirt just fantastic? I'm constantly amazed by how versatile it is - it goes with everything. I have to stop myself from wearing it way too much, hahaha. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristina,

    This always becomes a time of instant apprehension and anxiety. Watching your little babies grow into sweet little independent souls, and learning how to handle this newfound freedom for you. Hoping you find the ability to spend those moments doing what makes you truly happy.

    You look gorgeous, as always!

    xoxo,
    Kim
    ArrayofAnthro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man. I hope I am ready to see my boys walk away to school. Right now, I just can't imagine it. I love what you wrote though. We do raise them in our little nest and must let them take flight.
    Beautiful pop of color with the orange. I have been debated ordering a pair, but I have never tried them on. Do they seem to run true to size?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog and love it!! I have two little ones at home now and feel like I will be taking care of them forever but reading your blog made me realize that I need to cherish all the time I have with them. Thanks for the great post. I love your outfit. The shirt and skirt go so well together on you.

    ReplyDelete

Kristina J. Copyright 2014

Kristina J. DIY Ideas | DIY Style All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger