I found this amazing little dress at LOFT on clearance for $5.00 a while ago and fell in love with the color and style, so of course, I snatched it right up. It was totally cool on it's own, but as you know, I can't leave anything alone and I've wanted a cream-trimmed red dress for a while...making this one the perfect victim. HA.
Here's the sketch I used to keep focused on what I wanted the dress to become.
The fabric lining of a store-bought garment rarely ever matches the actual fabric of a dress lemme tell ya, but this one did (shocker). Since the dress was already long, I shortened the top layer of fabric letting the lining hang below, edged them both with cream fabric to echo the trim of the sleeve and flutter detailing...then used the extra fabric to make the sleeves.
The belt was made out of cream brocade using a belt kit.
This dress would have still been really versatile without the sleeves, but I always like to have the option...and it seemed a ridiculous waste of fabric not to add them. For a more detailed description of how I sew sleeves into existing dresses, go here.