Author Interview At Pretty Practical Me

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Book Promo Interview with Rebekah from Pretty Practical Me

Today's guest is someone that I have followed for at least a year! I found her blog via Pinterest with one of her many outfits that just blow you away! I was instantly hooked on her! Everything about her style is perfection. I love the prints, colors, and textures that she pairs together. Her fashion has inspired a few of my own outfits. What I love is that she dresses with such style, class, and modesty. 

Oh but I forgot to mention the best part...she is a DIY girl! That's right, she either makes her own clothing or transforms pieces into one of a kinda closet must haves. She has recently published a book that I just can't wait to own! I have my sewing machine ready to give her projects a try!

Today she was so kind to stop by Pretty Practical Me and give an inside look into her book and answer some of questions that I'm just dying to know! 




1. How is your book different from other craft books?
When I pitched the idea to a publisher I was really adamant that the tone of the book be end-product driven, with final pictures to be completely styled in a way that inspires readers to see that wearable Do-It-Yourself style is the goal and the tutorial steps are simply how you get there. As a result, The Chic Girl's Guide is being also marketed as a coffee table/inspirational book that focuses on how to beautify garments without looking gimmicky. 

2. What’s one of your favorite projects featured in the book?
I just love this paillette embellished cardigan. It's a great example of the projects featured in the book—taking blank slate pieces and turning them into one-of-a-kind creations. 

3. What inspires your personal style?
Color combinations, prints and unexpected elements. I love mixing my Sperry's with a gorgeous dress or pairing sequined pieces with denim. I'm not really much of a fashionista but I know what I like and how I want to present myself, and all the details seem to flow naturally from that. I'd say my personal style is somewhere between sporty feminine and preppy vintage.

4. What role did your personal style play a role in the creative aspect of the book?
It's hard to completely separate personal style from DIY fashion projects because generally, the reason women refashion clothes is to create something specifically tailored to their personal preferences. For a book, it's important to feature projects that appeal to readers of varied age groups. While all the projects are created from my point-of-view, the style of each project is varied to appeal to as many readers as possible. 

  
5. What's next after the book launch?
Book promotion and marketing! HA. I also plan to revamp the way I approach DIY with the idea that there might be a sequel to The Chic Girl's GuideBeing responsible to my readers to present tutorials in an attractive and understandable way has been both challenging and rewarding. It's forces me to deconstruct clothing and analyze how I can reconstruct a garment in a step-by-step process that is clear to novice sewers.





6. What other projects do you see in your future?
The best opportunities in life are always unexpected so I'm trying to enjoy the moment and keep my eyes peeled for the next great adventure. I hope to focus a lot of my energy on the blog and hopefully begin selling a small collection of my own clothing designs.             

7. What are 3 valuable things you've learned on the journey from personal blogging to book author?
--Don't dilute your image and point-of-view.
--Constantly re-evaluate your approach.
--Have fun and create!

The Chic Girl's Guide to a One-of-a-Kind Wardrobe was released this week and is currently available at Amazon


2 comments:

  1. I just read your book Kristina and it is amazing! You have a genius for style. After reading your book I've decided that (a) I need more sequins in my life and (b) I want to try every one of your tutorials. I really enjoyed all of your great tips. You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! So awesome to hear from a fellow diy enthusiast! I appreciate it

    ReplyDelete

Kristina J. Copyright 2014

Kristina J. DIY Ideas | DIY Style All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger