How To Make Cutout Fabric

Sunday, April 1, 2012


Cutout fabric is a unique way to embellish your pieces and add a feminine dimension.  Cutout fabric lends a certain luxury to any piece, but finding fabric like this is almost impossible and super pricey. This tutorial demonstrates how you can make your own standout fabric. 
You can use it when constructing a piece from scratch or add it to existing items, such as t-shirts, cardigans or clutches.  For this tutorial, I used it for a spring jacket I built. 


You can use flower stencils to create the flowers, but it will save you lots of time (not to mention sanity) if you have some sort of fabric cutting device. I can't say enough about my Sizzix Big Shot cutting machine. It's way less expensive than other options, and the result is perfectly uniform shapes.


I used 25 total flowers for this project.




The starch gave the fabric a more formal stiffness that I wanted for this jacket, but I would skip the starch if I was going to use the fabric to overlay a t-shirt or cardigan.







                                                         follow button
[facebook] [twitter] [rss feed] [pinterest] [email] [Kristina J]

7 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the whole jacket! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I'll have to try that technique out. I look forward to seeing that jacket too. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And to think these embellished pieces are at the store and they cost a fortune!! But yours looks perfect...and if I made it, it probably wouldn't even be close. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and your lovely comment about my crochet work :) Appreciate it!!

    Christine
    delachic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is nice and priceless.... :) Thanx for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, unfortunately well beyond my sewing abilities or I'd give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great idea and I too love my Sizzix bigshot!

    ReplyDelete

Kristina J. Copyright 2014

Kristina J. DIY Ideas | DIY Style All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger